Roger is the #1 Bestselling author and illustrator of five books including, The Painting Table, My Favorite Color is Blue. Sometimes., and the upcoming Faces: A Love Story.
Following the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT, Roger had the privilege of painting with children who witnessed this tragic event. The experience profoundly affected him and convinced him to serve those who grieve with his writing and art.
Roger received the Governor’s Order of the Silver Crescent Award in 2014. The Order of the Silver Crescent is South Carolina’s highest civilian honor for exemplary performance, contribution and achievement within the community.
There is prayerful poetry woven through Roger’s work, a gentle reverence in his tone and posture toward the heartbroken. It’s Roger’s ambition to use art, color, and poetic language to communicate love and promote healing and hope in today’s hurting world.
Roger serves as the Director of Christian Formation and Parish Life at Palmer Memorial Episcopal Church in Houston, TX, and is a member of the National Alliance of Grieving Children and Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators.
Roger lives with his wife and daughter just outside of Houston.
In this conversation we discuss painting and prayer, grief and mental health, as well Roger’s books and his process, among many other things. It’s a fun and moving discussion and I hope you enjoy it.
To learn more about Roger and follow his story, you can find him on Instagram @rogerhutchisonbooks or his website: www.rogerhutchisonbooks.com
Books, articles, and films mentioned in this episode:
- My Favorite Color is Blue. Sometimes.: A Journey Through Loss with Art and Color by Roger Hutchison
- Faces: A Love Story by Roger Hutchison
- Jesus: God Among Us by Roger Hutchison
- The Painting Table by Roger Hutchison
- The Very Best Day: The Way of Love for Children by Roger Hutchison
- Under the Fig Tree: Visual Prayers and Poems for Lent by Roger Hutchison
- A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L’Engle
- Holy Trouble Makers & Unconventional Saints by Daneen Akers
- I Talk Like a River by Jordan Scott
- One Year Later: How the Painting Table is Helping Newtown Heal, from The Huffington Post
- The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy. You can read my review of the book here.
- The Last Temptation of Christ
Bookstores mentioned in this episode:
People mentioned in this episode:
- Ana Hernandez
- Brandi Carlile
- George Floyd
- Madeleine L’Engle
- Mary Oliver
- Matthew Paul Turner
- Theora Hamblett
- The Most Rev. Michael Curry
- The Very Rev. Sam Candler
Churches and camps mentioned in this episode:
- Kanuga Camp and Conference Center, Hendersonville, NC
- Palmer Memorial Episcopal Church, Houston, TX
- St. Helena’s Episcopal Church, Boerne, TX
- Trinity Episcopal Church, Newtown, CT
Like what you read here? Click the “Subscribe” button on the right side of the page and get each new blog post delivered to your inbox.
As always, please leave your comments below, both good and bad. We love to hear from you.
One thought on “Roger Hutchison”