Since 1970 Jim Tolpin has worked professionally in woodworking as a timber framer, boat finish carpenter, and custom cabinet maker. He’s also been a teacher and a writer, co-founding the Port Townsend School of Woodworking in 2007.
Jim has written articles for most of the major woodworking magazines including Fine Woodworking and Fine Homebuilding. He’s also written feature length articles for Coastal Living and Cottage Living magazines. Additionally, he’s written eighteen books that together have sold nearly a million copies. Jim’s latest book, Euclid’s Door, is due out this fall from Lost Art Press.
I’m delighted to have been able to have this conversation with Jim Tolpin. As I note early on in the interview, I read a lot of Jim’s writing when I was in college and it was instrumental in my development as a woodworker. Jim is a thoughtful teacher and an erudite writer, an analog man in a digital world, and it was an honor to get to spend some time with him. If you’re at all interested in woodworking, boat building, geometry, or teaching, the content of the conversation is worth your attention. I’m grateful to Jim for his time and to you, our readers and listeners.
- Sections and Projections – 2022
- The Seven Secrets of Cottage – 2022
- Euclid’s Door – 2022
- From Truth to Tools – 2017
- By Hound and Eye: A Plain & Easy Guide to Designing Furniture with No Further Trouble – 2016
- By Hand and Eye – 2013
- The New Traditional Woodworker – 2011
- Jim Tolpin’s Woodworking Wit and Wisdom – 2004
- The New Family Home – 2000
- Table Saw Magic – 1999
- The New Cottage Home – 1998
- Built-in Furniture – 1997
- The Toolbox Book – 1996
- Working Wood: A Complete Bench-top Reference – 1996
- Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets – 1994
- Going Professional: A Woodworker’s Guide – 1993
- Measure Twice, Cut Once: Simple Steps to Measure, Scale, Draw and Make the Perfect Cut – Every Time – 1993
- Finish Carpenter’s Manual – 1992
- Working at Woodworking – 1990
Other books mentioned in this episode:
- The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer
- Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore: A Novel by Robin Sloan
Other people mentioned in this episode:
Like what you read here? Click the “Subscribe” button on the right side of the page and get each new blog post delivered to your inbox.
As always, please leave your comments below, both good and bad. We love to hear from you.
Please note that there are Amazon Affiliate links in this post. We will earn a modest commission from qualifying purchases made through those links. It is very much appreciated. Thank you.